The western Pyrenees meet the necessary qualities to become the strategic location of observation and study of bird migration in Navarre and the European level. The influx of birds and orographic characteristics of the Lindus Pass during the months from July to November (autumn migration season) make it an ideal observation of the highest concentrations of raptors and other soaring birds in Europe. Since this site and those of Lizarrieta Organbidexka and it is possible to observe a significant percentage of birds that pass through this route.
The French League for the Protection of Birds (LPO - Aquitaine) devoted several years to the observation and analysis of bird migration in this area.
The project aims to develop a dynamic Lindus common observation, data collection, analysis and dissemination, both in cross-border and European level. This proposed collaboration and interaction between the two territories (Pyrénées-Atlantiques and Navarre) also relies on volunteer participation: training, assistance in the observation and data collection, environmental education and knowledge resources local.
It is expected that the draft act on two levels: the scientific (better knowledge of the subject of study in the territory border and spread to the entire scientific community) and socially (development of a Culture birding and discovery activities in the area).
Lindus project will establish a real interaction between communities devoted to bird watching in the border area at the "funnel Atlantic", through which much of migratory birds between Europe and the Africa. Dissemination of project results and the work of training and outreach volunteers help reveal the richness of natural areas Lindus-Burguete, Lizarrieta Organbidexka and at a European level.
History of Partnership
Since the beginning of the study of migration on the site of Lindus, the more or less informal meetings between Navarre and French ornithologists have developed a network of personal ties on both sides of the border. This network has facilitated the birth of collaboration with this project is the result.
During 2008, the city of Burguete and LPO have held several meetings to establish collaboration on the observation area of Lindus. To better understand the possibilities of operating and financing a common framework for both territories, the municipality of Burguete called in November 2008, a company specializing in the development of cross border cooperation projects.
Since then, the consortium members have held several meetings:
- November 25, 2008, in Bayonne (France)
- January 16, 2009, in Bayonne (France)
- February 24, 2009, in Bayonne (France)
Another meeting was also held in Bayonne with the West Territorial Organization to introduce the project and assess the quality of it, February 24, 2009.
Subcontracting an international consulting firm for technical assistance has helped the overall coordination of the preparation of the application:
- Creation of Consortium
- Management and coordination of preparatory meetings
- Management of the respective contributions to the drafting
- Budget development and preparation of the application
- Time management, approaches and delivery of the application.
Phases of preparation, both individual and joint (border), were developed between January 2008 and March 2009.
Observation on three sites:
- Lizarrieta (LPO Aquitaine)
- Lindus> border cooperation (the three partners are directly involved)
- Organbidexka (LPO-Aquitaine)
Volunteer management with the intention of training them for bird watching and processing data, and transmit knowledge about the environment and heritage and cultural resources of the area Auritz-Burguete-Lindus.
Dissemination of results to the entire European scientific community concerned by the migration of birds, through the website, scientific journals and a seminar held at the end of project.
Border character and value
- The border area that is the subject of this study is one of two major flyways of birds
- Necessary and direct collaboration between France and Navarre, for sharing data
- Harmonization of methods of study and pooled results (databases)
- Significant added value for the European scientific community
- Pooled and additional volunteers
- Development of cross-border area of reference (Observatory of migration), both at the Pyrenean and European (and international) for the study of bird migration
- Development of border areas of reference, both in the Pyrenees and European (and international) for volunteer participation
- Development of natural resources and heritage of the area of Monte-Burguete-Lindus Alduide
Innovation in scientific
- Joint evaluation methods birding and data management
- Sharing of data through an online system (website) to power the common database
- Development of this database for the preparation and functionality at the European level of the entire migration path
Innovation in social and scientific
- Strict method of volunteer management for an optimal level of commitment and support for scientific study (partner Navarre)
- closely with the French partner to share and pass this method volunteer management: report training / entertainment / environment education
Earlier draft: "ORMO" (France)
Observation of the Regional Migration of Birds in Aquitaine.
- Study of the migration
- Availability of data
- Development of viewing areas as ecotourism sites (factor of development and competitiveness)
Appreciation of the project Lindus
- Cooperation with the neighboring territory (Navarre): bird migration beyond the borders!
- Sharing of methodologies and results (data) to increase scientific knowledge
- Joint management of volunteers
- Development of cross-border area of observation as a site specific "scientific ecotourism"
Sustainability of the project
- Dynamic cross-border long-term observation, to meet the needs and scientific interest
- Convert the area border-Burguete Lindus in an OBSERVATORY OF MIGRATION birds of the Atlantic Way
- Convert the cross-border observation Burguete-Lindus in a site recognized for volunteer participation and information on bird migration and the environment, for the general public
- Extend the dynamic cross-border sites and Lizarrieta Organbidexka (they are part of the project study area Lindus but the first phase of cross-border cooperation focuses on the area of Lindus-Burguete)
Transfer of results
- In the data: pooling line (Internet site), in a database designed for all Europe
- Dissemination of results through the scientific network (End of Project Symposium brought together experts and journals) and press
> OBJECTIVE: Joint Coordination headed by the leader (Burguete)
> MEANS USED: Meetings of the consortium members (2 per year). Administrative management delegated to a specialized company.
Coordination of the project includes:
- Planning, monitoring and ongoing evaluation of the actions
- Control of the project
- Management meetings with the consortium members
- Financial Management
- Report writing and financial execution every six months.
> OBJECTIVE: Joint management of working methods for the study of migration and the involvement of volunteers
> MEANS USED: technical and methodological Meetings (schedule: two meetings, the first year a meeting, the second year, a meeting, the third year)
Methodological coordination include:
- monitoring and continuous evaluation of the technical activities and volunteer participation
- Control of the execution and analysis of any deviations from targets.
Program Duration: 36 months from 1 April 2010 to March 31, 2012.